October 15, 2013

Issue 9: October 2013

If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.
~Rudyard Kipling


Contents 



Introduction and Farewell

Dear Readers,

With mixed sadness and relief, I welcome you to the final issue of Lacuna: A Journal of Historical Fiction.

When Lacuna first closed to fiction and poetry submissions last August, I had intended to continue the journal in a new format at a later date. This trial hiatus, however, has reminded me how much time and energy I was sacrificing to keep up with submissions, editing, and formatting. The reservations that I expressed last June about the quality of submissions and my own qualifications as an editor of historical fiction remain, and are compounded by a number of recent changes in my personal and professional life: a cross-country move, a new occupation as a graduate student, the need to focus on my own writing, and the desire to make myself more available for new editing projects.

I acknowledge and regret the continuing dearth of markets for short historical fiction. Lacuna readers will be excited to discover (if they haven’t already discovered) Circa: A Journal of Historical Fiction, edited by Lacuna contributor Jennifer Falkner, which has already released two fantastic issues. If you are considering opening a historical fiction journal and need advice or publicity, please feel free to contact me.

Editing Lacuna was an experience - at times exciting, at times draining, always instructive and enlightening. I am honored to have been able to publish so many original, creative, resonant works of fiction and poetry. Thank you for reading. When you have finished enjoying this issue, please browse the many fantastic stories and poems in our archives.

I am happy to answer any questions in the comments.

Sincerely, and with gratitude,


Megan Arkenberg
Editor

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout-out for Circa.

I am so sorry to see Lacuna go, it's a great journal, always so richly and carefully put together.

Best of luck in your future projects!